13 COLONIES award
Once again the annual (the 8th) "13 Colonies Special Event" will take place between 1300z, July 1st and 0400z July 7th. The certificate is printed on heavy card stock. Stations working one state or, as many as all 15, will be eligible for the certificate. A "Clean Sweep" indicator will be affixed, for those lucky enough to "Q" all 15. A special endorsement will be attached for stations contacting their sister operation, WM3PEN, in Philadelphia, PA, where independence was declared.
New since 2015, the 13 Colonies have added a second sister event station GB13COL will operate from Durham, England. The 13 Colonies certificate will have a Liberty Bell added for a contact with WM3PEN. They will also offer a special QSL card printed just for this event. There should be at least two stations from each on the 13 colonies on the air, as well as Super contest stations, multi-operator Club stations and OM and XYL teams.
The U.S. original 13 colonies are CT-DE- GA-MA-MD-NC-NH-NJ-NY-PA-RI-SC-VA. Special event stations mentioned are: K2A (NY), K2B (VA), K2C (RI), K2D (CT), K2E (DE), K2F (MD), K2G (GA), K2H (MA), K2I (NJ), K2J (NC), K2K (NH), K2L (SC), and K2M (PA).
All HF bands will be in play, including the WARC bands, with the exception of 60 meters. 2 meters and 6 meter simplex are encouraged. All modes of operation should be represented - SSB, CW, RTTY, Digital, and the Satellites. The mode of operation is up to the individual colony state station. For more details on the stations, suggested frequencies, QSL info and on how to obtain the special certificate, see: http://www.13colonies.info
The exchange for this event is:
a. CALL / NAME
b. RS / RST
c. STATE / PROVINCE / COUNTRY.
Getting Your Certificate
1) Download and print the our Colony Log sheet (this is a fillable pdf ),on the Log Sheet Page. (Your own version is OK.) Fill-in all applicable information. NOTE: this also applies to SWLs requesting a certificate.
2) A $5.00(US) donation** is requested (NOTE: this is an increase from previous years due to increased costs of materials- envelopes up 45% - and postage - the sponsors report they kep the previous cost as long as they could and hope that you understand and continue to participate), AND A RETURN SELF ADDRESSED LABEL for your certificate return envelope. This will cut down the time you get your certificate by two fold. Your address should be on the label!
3) Cash, check or MO is OK. Place my name on the check/MO this way: (pay to the order of) Ken Villone-Award Manager. (Banks are fussy!)
4) Send your return label, donation & log sheet to: Ken Villone-KU2US, PO.Box-185, Conesus NY. 14435-0185, USA.
5) Sponsor will provide the return envelope and postage. NO extra postage required for DX requests.