The Enigma "machine" was a device used first for businesses who desired secrecy in their communications, but which was adopted and improved in WWII Germany. The breaking of the codes by allied forces was of great importance, only de-classified in the 1980's.
1. DATES The Enigma Award will start on Saturday September 17 th at 07.00 UTC, and will end on friday, September 30 th at 23:59 UTC, in conjunction with the EUROPEAN NIGHT OF RESEARCHERS. The complete program is available online at www.enigma-reloaded.it .
2. PARTICIPATION All amateur radio stations in the world can participate, with the goal of collecting as many QSO as possible with Activator Stations, following the rules explained in this document. The official list of Activators Stations (List A) will be published on www.enigma-reloaded.it site by August 31 st, 2016.
The only participation Diploma categories are : OM category and SWL category, each having its own independent score ranking.
Activator Stations will not compete for the ranking, but will receive a special participation certificate.
As previously defined, each Activator Station requires the presence of an original Enigma machine (not necessarily functioning).
By the time of the registration application of the Activator Stations (List A), the name of the museum or cultural group hosting the machine associated with the radio station should be specified.
For amateur collectors or private owners, the province where the station is located will be considered as sufficient information.
Any additional detail, if any, will be welcome, but is not requested.
On October 01 st, last Event’s day, the Activator’s Stations will call one by one the stations equipped with one emulated / virtual machine listed in List B on the official website www.enigma-reloaded.i t, and will exchange encoded messages.
3. RULES FOR QSO
QSOs are allowed on all HF bands 10-12-15-17-20-30-40-80-160 meters, in SSB, CW, RTTY, SSTV, PSK31 mode only.
QSO via repeaters, transponders or other similar ways are NOT allowed and will NOT be accepted as valid.
The QSO will be valid once exchanged the conventional RST report.
Each Activator Station can be connected only once per day for each emission mode and for each band, throughout the whole contest.
Use of spots using Packet Cluster is allowed, but "self spotting" by the Activator Stations is NOT allowed.
4. POINTS FOR QSO / HRD AND MULTIPLIERS
Each QSO with activators stations worth 1 point. The individual callsigns of the activator stations count as multipliers.
Example of scoring: 10 QSOs with IO4ENG, 25 QSOs with II2ENG, 7 QSO with SP0ENIGMA: Total points / QSO 42, multipliers 3,then 126 points in total.
5. SCORES - To obtain the diploma, OM and SWL participants must reach the following minimum score:
Italian and other European stations: 16 x (n. of Activator Stations) points;
DX stations: 8 x (n. of Activator Stations) points
6. SCORE RANKINGS AND AWARDS. The final results will be published after the end of the event on the website www.enigma-reloaded.it.
The first three stations classified in the OM and SWL categories will receive a special certificate via email. Each station having achieved the minimum score (see above) will receive the Enigma Award via email. The decisions of the judging Committee will be are final and undisputable. All participants not complying with the rules stated in this document will be disqualified.
8. FINAL REMARKS - Anything not specifically mentioned in this Regulation and its amendments, as well as any additional information will be published on the official web site www.enigma-reloaded.it, to which as any request for additional information should be addressed. As general ruling system, the common practice, customs and conventions usually adopted within the amateur radio competitions are assumed.